Sunday, August 24, 2008

Birthday Temptations at Restaurant Eve


It seems that I am eating my way across the DC area this summer (as my strained jeans will confirm). This weekend found us in the Chef's Tasting Room at Restaurant Eve, in Old Town Alexandria. To celebrate my "small" birthday, Al made reservations in June, after having struck out getting reservations there for our "big" anniversary dinner.

Restaurant Eve is every bit the temptress that her namesake is. I began the meal with a "hand crafted cocktail" -- lavendar, lemon juice and cucumber water -- virgin, alas, but very refreshing. Warned ahead of time to expect a 2 1/2 to 3-hour dining experience, we opted for the five-course menu rather than the nine (!) I brought my camera, but decided that snaps (even with my cell phone) would be beyond gauche. Here is a list of the temptations I chose -- made easy to remember from the take-home gift of my scrolled-up, personalized menu, tied with peach-colored ribbon! (They also gave me a gift bag with scone mix, specialty coffee and Kerry Gold butter pats.)

My Birthday Dinner:

Four teeny appetizer morsels
to start things off: They weren't on the menu, just something the chef cooked up to begin the temptation in earnest.

Followed by Barbie-sized bowls of the creamiest, freshest mushroom soup I have ever eaten.

Pause -- Meyer Lemon sorbet to cleanse the palate

First Course -- Creation: Eve's Garden Basil Custard with Sweet Corn-Avocado Relish and Opal Basil Vinaigrette

Second Course -- Ocean: Pan-roasted Thai Snapper with Maryland Blue Crab, Roasted Sweet Corn and Crisp Pancella

Third Course -- Earth and Sky: Broken Arrow Ranch Loin of Axis Venison "en Feuille De Brick" with Morels and Huckleberry, Ginger Snap Jus

Pause -- Watermelon sorbet to cleanse the palate

Fourth Course -- Age: Terrine of Cashel Blue" with Walnut Cracker and Santa Rosa Plus Jam (I think this was my favorite course!)

Fifth Course -- Eden: Warm Hazelnut Cake with Poached Peaches and Chantilly

By now, we were completely sated and ready to take a nap at the elegant table. That's when they brought out a tiered silver serving dish with tiny sweet nothings --a jelly treat, a merengue, a truffle to die for and a dab of white chocolate, almonds and cornflakes, of all things. We waddled to our car, drove home and flopped into bed, with happy, calorie-free dreams.

Before going to Restaurant Eve, I thought The Inn at Little Washington was unparalleled. Nothing else even came close to the food and the pampering. But Eve is every bit as good, a lot closer and even a lot cheaper (although NOT AT ALL inexpensive -- all things are relative). I'm going to ask Al to make reservations now for my next birthday!

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Thank you for the review of this place it sounds just awesome. I was so impressed with the degree that they cater to us Veggies - so now I'm just trying to think of an occasion when Adam and I can go there. Our anniversary is coming up, but we will proabably be out of time. Need excuse!!!